Winston Churchill

"There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man"

Friday, December 24, 2010

My horse teaches me

Ok, so yesterday was not a "good" horsemanship day. I get one of those every few weeks. What I mean by this is, that by the time I was walking back Cisco to his paddock, I didn't have the warm fuzzy feeling in my belly that I get after a good session. I hadn't been at my best and it is OK because those "bad" days often teach me more than the good ones. 2 hours of food shopping in a crowded super market obviously didn't put me in the right space to be a good leader for my horse. The funny thing is that I had this little bit of anxiety in me when I went to get him, like a feeling that we should probably just hang out but being a human, my brain overrode this feeling plus I had a plan: I was really eager to try my new 45 feet line. Nothing went really wrong because Cisco is a forgiving horse who just puts up with my inadequacy. In actual fact if only I had only done a third of what we did, it would have been super day! The problem tend to arise when I teach something new, it's knowing when to quit. There are occasions where Cisco is simply not quite ready for what I have in mind, others where I probably go about it the wrong way and yet other time where he just doesn't want to do it because he has his own opinions. Being able to judge which is which and what to do when, is the tricky part of the whole equation and no matter how many hours of Parelli DVDs I watch, I have come to the conclusion mistakes have to be made along the way.
Luckily Cisco is very good at telling me when I am in the wrong. It's just the way he goes a bit introvert and looks at me with an air of long suffering martyr. It makes me feel like a child abuser!

So what do I learn from this: Listen to my inner horse! Didn't I write a blog about this only a few weeks ago? Well obviously I need to learn that lesson a few times. I must be a slower learner than my horse! I like the way Pat says:"learners can't make mistakes". It makes me feel a little better when I lack savvy.

No comments:

Post a Comment