Winston Churchill

"There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man"

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Listening to your inner horse

Reflecting on yesterday's blog I realised that long before I discovered Parelli I always had an intuitive feeling of what horses needed. It's like I had a little horse voice in my head, telling me what I should do. Unfortunately, I mostly ignore the horse part of my brain and listened to the human part.
I remember a horse a long time ago who was very RBE. I kept thinking, I need to get out of this horse's mouth, she would be better off without a bit. When I suggested this to my instructor, he just laughed at me! Rosie was a stunning chestnut mare but unfortunately I didn't know what I know now and it was only my intuition guiding me. So the bit stayed in her mouth and she stayed unmanageable and out of control. She was not my horse either but she remains in my mind as a horse I have failed!
Thanks to Parelli, I have learn to listen to my inner horse. There are still time where I think like a human and try to push through thresholds and I get too direct line but overall those times become less and less.
And when I let my horses guide me and set the pace, the results are amazing!

1 comment:

  1. Amen,
    I spent about an hour backing away from haltering and foot prep before Cayleigh was ready to let it happen last night. Then we played a little bit.

    We are having conversations again. I still talk too loud and she not loud enough but...

    Enjoying your blogging, BTW, thanks for taking the time.

    PeterC

    ReplyDelete