Winston Churchill

"There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man"

Saturday, December 4, 2010

How it all started

This should have been my first blog but hey, can't always bee super orgarnised. Learners don't make mistake and I've never had a blog before.
My love of horses go back to as long as I can remember. I begged my parents for riding lesson as owning a horse was out of question for a kid who lived in a flat in Paris. My mother convinced that it would wreck my back made me wait till I was 12 years old. From 12 till around 20, horses were what I lived for, well of course there were boys and party that came into the equation but there were never as important as horses. I distinctly remember that for years my routine for falling asleep was to pretend I was holding reins! I wanted to work as an instructor in the horse industry and my dream was to compete in the Olympics but I came from an academic family and it was out of question. I did what was expected and ended up with a PhD in Molecular Biology.
Fast forward a couple of decades and I've ended on the remote coast of Western Australia working as a science teacher, with 3 kids, a few rescue dogs... Somehow horses never completely dropped out of my life, I made sure that all my kids could ride but I didn't get back into it myself till an opportunity arouse to help a friend set up a riding stable. I started riding in earnest but something was missing. The horses were very well treated but never seemed that enthusiastic about doing their job.
Last Chritmas, I went back to the UK and rented a little cottage. The owner had horses and when I showed interest, she said: " Come and have a play". This struck me as strange, playing with horses? What on earth could she mean? I spent one of the most memorable afternoon of my life, playing with her horses in the snow and....What can I say? I have never recovered! That night she lent me some Parelli DVDs. I cried and cried for the beauty of it, for all the horses that will never know it, for all the years that I had lost.
Since then I have been a woman possessed! The riding stable where I rode has turned Natural, I have my own horse and I have never been so happy!
Keep on reading to find out what we get up to!

No comments:

Post a Comment